Monday, May 30, 2016

Important New Mantra

Today's blog post will be very short, because:

a) things are very busy right now - I'm writing report card comments, finishing the school yearbook, finalizing plans for Tuesday's Red Maple Marketing campaign, completing my Library Learning Commons Showcase presentation materials (due this Friday) and other regular teaching and magazine duties

b) I like to provide context for my reflections and I cannot for this particular issue due to its sensitive nature

I've been struggling with a certain situation and I sought some advice. The person I spoke to said something that I've been repeating to as many people as I can, because it is so wise and so true.

What we permit, we promote.

This phrase is easy to say but hard to live up to. It means we have to risk being unpopular or a "stick-in-the-mud" or "overly-politically-correct". I took a hard look at myself and my actions, and when faced with someone saying or doing something inappropriate, I'm more likely to say nothing, or shake my head in silent disapproval. I'd be more likely to excuse my inaction by saying "oh, you know so-and-so; that's just his personality" or "don't take anything what's-her-face says seriously". 

We can't do that. I can't do that any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment